Many people are hesitant to renovate their house before selling because they think it will take too much time and cost. However, with a strategic plan and proper mindset, it can be a time and cost saver when it comes to selling your house. You want to avoid any problems that can cause potential buyers to turn on their heels and walk out of the door because of the house defects.
Remodel a house before selling can help you to get a higher value of the home and sell faster than the others. Typically buyers cannot visualize the result from remodeling. They see the condition of your house right here and right now. In most cases, they want to buy a home they can move into immediately. Buyers usually don’t want to rent another living space while their house is remodeled, as most of the people may be purchasing a home specifically to avoid paying rent.
You can do a lot of small upgrades that will raise the value of your house. However, it is a waste if remodeling the wrong areas. Since the kitchen and bathroom tend to be the selling point, we can focus our effort on these two places.
Do It Yourself if You Can
When you hire a remodeling contractor, you always spend money on two things: materials and labor. The best benefit of DIY projects is that you’ll be saving yourself a lot of money. It is possible to do the projects by yourself if you consider selling your house after a year or more in the future. After all, you will be learning a valuable and new skill, and it can be a kind of exercise too.
A kitchen is indeed the heart of every home, which is why many potential home buyers prioritize it over other rooms. If you upgrade your kitchen to be clean and appealing, the selling price will be higher, and more potential buyers will be encouraged to buy your house. It looks like a good idea to fully renovate your kitchen, but at the same time, we know that it’s expensive and does not guarantee reasonable returns.
However, with minimal cost, you can try the following upgrades and still get the best resale value.
- Paint the kitchen cabinets, trim, moldings, and entryways. These are among the few kitchen areas that often require a fresh coat of paint to keep the kitchen glowing.
- Replace old kitchen appliances, microwave ovens, dated dishwashers, air conditioner(s), and humidifiers are one of the ways to give your kitchen a fresh look and make it look more functional.
- Countertops are highly visible. Clean and examine the countertops for cracks, nicks, grout issues, etc., and, if present, perform the necessary action(s) to fix the problem.
- Swap the outdated cabinet pulls and drawers with new ones.
- Fix up the backsplash by adding tiles that complement the theme of your kitchen
People generally spend a lot of time in their bathrooms; hence they tend to notice the room’s shortcomings pretty quickly. With that in mind, a smart bathroom remodeling should involve updating worn-out items, modernizing fixtures, and creating a more functional space as the following suggestions.
- It is better to repaint or change the flooring of the bathroom rather than a water heater, which still functions. If the water heater is safe and functional, keep it. A new water heater will not impress buyers.
- Change a new faucet and give it a more contemporary feel instead of changing a brand new vanity sink.
- Add some accessories by switching out towels, replacing a dowdy shower curtain, and including an interesting, eye-catching piece such as a beautiful vase to make a fast and effective refresh in the bathroom.
Floor And Wall
It always needs to vacuum your floor, includes every corner and edges. For the carpet, you must clean it professionally, and using a carpet cleaning machine is the best way. Other hardwood floors have to clean with wood cleaning products only.
House wall always has dust, grease, and dirt accumulated on it. Use a wall cleaner and scrub the walls to remove those dust and dirt. While cleaning the walls, you should always start from the top and work your way to the bottom. You can remove all the dripping marks while moving downwards. If you have some budget, it is good to hire a reliable painting company to get a fresh coat of paint done on the walls. After painting, get the peeling flakes and chipped paint scrubbed off the walls.
A simple improvement of the house has the potential to immediately change the buyers’ perception of your home and raise its value. Anyway, you may do one upgrade at a time and spread out the cost until you are ready to sell the house. Please speak to a real estate professional if you need additional advice or information on other ideas that you can make before marketing your home. They’ll sure be glad to share their expert knowledge and experience. I wish you all Happy Selling your house!
Written by Cathy Yan