After you’ve rested up from the work of moving into a new area, your next step is to learn to make yourself at home there. Part of making yourself at home involves just getting used to the area, figuring out how to get around, and knowing where important locations are. But making yourself at home also means becoming a part of the community, getting involved locally, and making new friends. Here are some tips from the real estate pros at Accardo Real Estate Associates for newcomers to Redondo Beach.
Explore the area slowly.
Don’t try to memorize the entire map in your first week. Take small trips and visit different areas, expanding your circle wider as you go.
- Locate the essentials, such as groceries, pharmacies, hardware shops, and department stores.
- Find local health care providers who accept your insurance. It’s a good idea to get recommendations and check out reviews before signing on with a new provider.
- Check out popular area attractions, entertainment, restaurants, and coffee shops.
Make sure you have taken care of all legal and administrative details.
It’s not as much fun as checking out new restaurants, but you need to tie up any bureaucratic loose ends.
- If you have moved from out of state, you will need to find out where the nearest DMV is, and get your license and registration changed.
- Don’t neglect to change your address with the postal service. It’s not a bad idea to submit a change of address to important institutions like credit card agencies, too.
- Find out about any new expenses in your new locale, such as increased property taxes, and be aware of any neighborhood ordinances or regulations.
Locate other service professionals you may need in the months to come.
Living comfortably in a new community means knowing whom to call when you need specialized work done.
- Find a good auto mechanic for when you need your vehicles serviced.
- If you need to find a daycare or a childcare provider, don’t wait until the last minute. As soon as you can, look for highly rated and licensed professionals and providers.
- If you will need mowing, landscaping, or lawn care, research lawn care companies and find one near you with good ratings and prices.
How to make new social connections.
Making friends may be an organic process, but there are many ways you can facilitate it.
- If you want to get civically involved, attend Redondo Beach city council meetings – or even get involved in local politics once you’ve gotten familiar with the city.
- Use online resources to reach out to long-lost friends or old classmates who live in the area.
- Offer to volunteer with soup kitchens, clothing drives, or other charitable organizations in the Redondo Beach vicinity.
- Get your kids involved in sports, arts, scouting, or other fun and educational activities.
There are so many great reasons why you’ll soon be feeling at home in Redondo Beach, from the great public school system to the excellent recreation options. Whether you are moving to Redondo Beach to work, retire, or settle with family, it won’t be hard for you to get comfortable in your new community.
Written by Natalie Jones @ www.homeownerbliss.info
Accardo Real Estate Associates provides exceptional Real Estate services to clients throughout the South Bay with real-time, up-to-the-minute information regarding current Real Estate trends, local marketing conditions, and an assessment of the future direction of change in home values and interest rates. Team up with Mike Naylor and the AREA team today! 310-686-9361